Enabling the iPhone Tethering – Use your iPhone as a Modem
As you usual, I will have to say this before I will write this article; All information provided in this article is for learning purposes only and for emergency situations. I am not liable for any charges that you might rank up by using the tethering feature (There are no charges as of yet!!!)
In the new iPhone OS software 3.0, Apple folks have built Internet tethering capability to iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3G S . Internet tethering allows iPhone owners to use iPhone as wireless modem or dongle device to connect the PC or notebook computer to Internet for surfing and browsing. As many of us know and found out right away, Internet tethering is disabled or blocked by default, as most mobile network carriers or operators want to charge you extra fee for Internet tethering privilege (You watch AT&T will try to charge $30 a/mo for this option), although existing service plans already allow certain limited bandwidth or even unlimited amount of data downloads.
Instead of giving your money away for something you might not even use but twice a month, in addition to the already-overpriced iPhone plan price, there are few ways to enable Internet tethering on jailbroken iPhone previously. With built-in support for Internet gateway tethering in iPhone with the release of iPhone OS software 3.0, there is a very simple hack for iPhone OS 3.0 upgrader to enable Internet tethering, without paying anything extra or subscription fee to the mobile operator, and without jailbreak or unlock. Before we go any further, please use your head and use this wisely… Remember!!! Use this information for Learning Purposes and Emergency Situations… Here we go,…
How to Activate / Enable FREE Internet Tethering on your iPhone running 3.0 OS
1. Open Safari Web Browser on your iPhone and type in this address into the address bar;
2. Select your Country from the list.
3. Select your Service Provider between the options you will see on the screen. (USA shows two, AT&T and T-Mobile)
4. Tap/Press Install Button to install new profile.
5. Next Screen might be presented in two ways… You might see a button that will say “Install Now” and the other one might say “Replace”… Anyways, hit Install Now or Replace button to continue. (If you want tethering you will have to ignore the IMPORTANT, Warning…) After install hit the home button
6. On your iPhone go to Settings -> General -> Network -> Internet Tethering.
7. Turn on the Internet Tethering
8. You will be presented with a screen Bluetooth is OFF then select your desired option, “Turn on Bluetooth” or USB Only.
9. That is it… Internet Tethering is now Enabled, connect your iPhone to your Machine (PC / Mac) via USB or Bluetooth to start connecting to the internet through your iPhone as Tethered Gateway Modem. NOTE: Once connected your iPhone will glow blue and you will see a note on the top of your screen “Internet Tethering”
Remember, using the USB option for tethering / internet access is much simpler. Windows or Mac machines (Normally/Usually) will automatically recognize the tethered iPhone and create the required unique network connection for shared internet access via iPhone. Bluetooth option / connection will require you to do the usual pairing and then user has to has to select “connect to network” from the Bluetooth device option in order to access the internet from your PC/Mac/Laptop via tethered iPhone.