Home > iPhone News, Tips & Tricks, Tutorials > How to Downgrade from iTunes 9 back to iTunes 8.2.1

How to Downgrade from iTunes 9 back to iTunes 8.2.1

September 15th, 2009

iTunesDowngrade

So you have downloaded, upgraded and installed the new iTunes 9 on your computer just to see what it looks like and what it does and now you’re thinking, “Why did I do that?” What was I thinking?”

Don’t worry, you can safely downgrade to the previous version of iTunes (8.2.1) without loosing any of your data or your iTunes library. Here is how you can do it…

First thing you need to do is Uninstall a total of (6) items from your computer, and then restart… Uninstall all six (6) items listed below.

• iTunes 9
  • iPhone Configuration
  • Apple Mobile Device Support
  • Apple Application Support
  • Apple Software Update
  • QuickTime (Make sure you get rid of this item)

Once all six items are removed / uninstalled don’t forget to reboot your computer. (You must do this!!!)

Now (once you restart) navigate to your iTunes folder, “\My Documents\My Music\iTunes”, find a file named “iTunes Library.itl” and RENAME it or DELETE it… (I usually re-name files instead of deleting them, in case of —Ohhh Crap moment—”) Let’s assume you have re-named the file to something like “iTunes Library_OLD_iTUNES-9.itl”

Now while still in the iTunes directory, open a folder named “Previous iTunes Libraries” and look for the backup of your old pre iTunes 9 library; it should be dated at about the time you first installed/upgraded to iTunes 9 (Mine was named “iTunes Library 2009-09-14.itl“), Copy that file and paste it into your “\My Documents\My Music\iTunes”. Now rename it to “iTunes Library“.

Once all steps above are completed, download and install the previous version of iTunes 8.2 onto your computer. See link below…

Restart your computer after iTunes 8.2 is installed successfully and Enjoy it…

That’s it, there are no other steps, you’re done…!!!

1. Ken
    September 30th, 2009 at 19:35 | #1

Thank you!!! I can now get the 3.1 update for my (currently) iBrick, (formerly an iPod touch). What the h*** was Apple thinking when they made iTunes 9??

2. September 30th, 2009 at 19:54 | #2

@Ken
    No problem… That’s why this info is here… Good luck

3. vinnie
    October 6th, 2009 at 17:49 | #3

Besides itunes and quicktime, i cant find the others…

4. Brad
    October 10th, 2009 at 07:22 | #4

Hey thanks alot :D
    Just reloaded laptop installed most recent itunes and realised its a no no for jailbreaking 3.0 ipod touch.
    @ vinnie…
    Go to control panel and find program uninstall the majority are there, I just deleted my itunes folder in /mymusic

5. Mo
    October 10th, 2009 at 15:20 | #5

thank you so much, this guide was really helpful to me as i made the mistake of upgrading to 3.1.1 without realising there was no jailbreak out. This helped me downgrade iTunes and subsequntly downgrade my firmware! Thank you!

6. October 11th, 2009 at 20:28 | #6

well.. it’s like I knew!

7. October 12th, 2009 at 22:14 | #7

I got an even better solution :)!
    I found out you can just double click the ipa file, it will then show up in iTunes 9 and you can sync it to the iPhone.
    I checked the app, it works.

8. Ali
    November 11th, 2009 at 18:38 | #8

This guide is very helpful. I’m so happy that I can use iTunes 8.2 again. You can’t imagine how much I hate 9.0.

9. Abdul
    November 15th, 2009 at 15:25 | #9

ok i did this and now i cant access anything on my iphone all the music i have is grey colored and not clickable !?

10. Freespace Virgin Net
    November 27th, 2009 at 04:15 | #10

yo. thank you for this post p

11. Jeremy
    December 2nd, 2009 at 13:47 | #11

HEADS UP…. If you are having trouble downloading iTunes again there is a simple fix that can take hours to determine…. if at first you don’t succeed make sure when you run the installer you right click and run as administrator.

12. C
    December 3rd, 2009 at 14:43 | #12

before I do this…are these instructions for a pc or a mac???

13. kris
    February 7th, 2010 at 17:32 | #13

hey i got an unlocked iphone 3G and my girlfriend updated my phone to the 3.1.3……iz there anyway to restore it because my phone wont even connect to itunes anymore

14. February 14th, 2010 at 09:01 | #14

absolutely fantastic =)

15. mariah
    March 13th, 2010 at 13:59 | #15

kay, so there is no file called “previous iTunes Libraries” so i just skipped that part & now i’m downloading the old itunes, will it still work??

16. jaden
    March 14th, 2010 at 11:24 | #16

i cant find iPhone Configuration but i can find everything else. do i uninstall the files above or do i send them to the recycling bin. and i have a iPod Touch 3G 32GB firmware 3.1.3. i wanna downgrade itunes because i heard that you can downgrade the ipod’s firmware so i can jailbreak it.

17. Annie
    April 1st, 2010 at 01:06 | #17

Genius! Thanks a lot!

18. furry
    April 7th, 2010 at 19:53 | #18

hey, i did every step, but at the end it tells me that “The file “iTunes Library.itl” cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes.”.
    pls help me out?

19. Zorro
    April 11th, 2010 at 21:14 | #19

IM IN THE SAME SITUATION AS FURRY (ABOVE), I DESPERATLEY NEED SOME HELP !!!!!!

20. hacker
    April 12th, 2010 at 13:16 | #20

you’re my hero now i can hack my ipod again with blackrain thank you so much if you are a girl i willl kiss you ;)

21. April 12th, 2010 at 13:32 | #21

Sorry not a girl… You are welcome and good luck

22. April 12th, 2010 at 13:33 | #22

@hacker
    Sorry not a girl… You are welcome and good luck

23. April 18th, 2010 at 19:57 | #23

thank you sooooo much dude!! ur a savior

24. bkp
    April 27th, 2010 at 17:44 | #24

i tried to do this & it keeps saying ” the files itunes library cannot be rad because it was created by a newer version of itunes” do you know what i need to do next…thanks

25. bkp
    April 27th, 2010 at 17:45 | #25

*read

26. bianca
    May 3rd, 2010 at 17:05 | #26

i did this n lost all of my songs. thanks.

27. jade
    May 3rd, 2010 at 17:28 | #27

im having the same problem i get the message “the itunes library cannot be read because it was created by a newer version” idk what to do .

28. Aran
    May 12th, 2010 at 23:00 | #28

i followed all your steps and installed itunes 8 and when i ttry running the itunes it says Itunes cannot open application error -50

29. sam
    May 13th, 2010 at 00:58 | #29

I also get the message that “the itunes library cannot be read because it was created by a newer version” What is the solution. Please help.

30. Lucy
    May 13th, 2010 at 23:05 | #30

i downgraded my itunes to 8.2 but it doesnt want to take my ipod touch 3.1.3 .. i wanted to downgrade my ipod and my itunes doesnt work for me .. help lol

31. fuzzy
    May 27th, 2010 at 13:15 | #31

@Zorro
    hey guys you need to rename that file its in your itunes folder under music

32. Cyber
    June 5th, 2010 at 20:19 | #32

Jade and fuzzy u need to rename the file under music then after the itl. You can put whatever

33. the Fixer.
    June 22nd, 2010 at 23:33 | #33

Ok, so the error ” the files itunes library cannot be rad because it was created by a newer version of itunes” is fix-able. After 4 hours of battling with system restores and itunes reinstalls, it’s a pretty easy fix. If you’re receiving that error, you didn’t upgrade from 8.2 to 9.0, you had a version in between somewhere. In my case I was trying to downgrade 9.2 back to 8.2, the problem is I had 9.1 when i created that itunes library. You must use the same version of itunes to use the corresponding library. Figure out which version you were using before your current one, and that is the one you must reinstall…at least it worked flawlessly in my case. I hope this helps.

34. JAG
    June 26th, 2010 at 00:50 | #34

I am also having the same problem as others in that I get the message “the itunes library cannot be read because it was created by a newer version”.

Any ideas?

35. Orville
    July 4th, 2010 at 00:03 | #35

I did all you posted but this comes up ” The file “iTunes Library.itl” cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes.”

36. Laura
    July 14th, 2010 at 16:51 | #36

I have done everything listed but all my music has gone??!?!?!?! How do I get it back again? Also Im still having issues with my ipod, dont you just hate waiting at the Apple Store!!!

37. Kelly
    July 26th, 2010 at 19:29 | #37

I had the same problem everyone’s having about “The file cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes”

So i looked at another article that shows you how to downgrade to a older version and they said some people have to recreate your iTunes library. Read this article to see how.

Hope this helps! :)