How to enable MMS on iPhone 3G and iPhone 3Gs on firmware 3.0 / 3.0.1 (AT&T)
A lot of iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS users are still using firmware 3.0, due to the fact that a Windows jailbreak has not been released for iPhone 3.1 firmware. AT&T released MMS for the iPhone on Friday September 25th 2009, and many jailbroken iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS users still want MMS on their iPhones but don’t want to update to 3.1 until there is a jailbreak released for it. Thankfully this can be done! I’ve added the AT&T 5.5 carrier profile download which AT&T released on Friday September 25th 2009. Follow this guide to learn how to add it to your iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS.
As you usual, I will have to say this before you read this article; All information provided in this article is for learning purposes only and for emergency situations. I am not liable for any charges that you might rank up by using this feature or if you damage your iPhone. (I haven’t heard anybody complaining yet)
Note: If you are on iPhone 3.1 firmware, Enable iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS MMS update through iTunes instead. Click here to read that article…
- iPhone 3G or iPhone 3Gs with 3.0, 3.0.1 or 3.1 firmware
- Latest version of iTunes, Click Here to download iTunes 9, if you’re running old iTunes 8.2 you have to update to iTunes 9
NOTE: The service is only for AT&T customers.
Enable IPCC updateds in iTunes
After ensuring pre-requisites, we first need to enable IPCC updates in iTunes 9. Follow following steps to do so:
Windows 32 Bit and 64 Bit (Windows 7/XP/Wista)
- Close iTunes
- Go to Start -> Run, type CMD and hit enter
- For 32 Bit windows run this command in command prompt “
CD C:\Program Files\iTunes"<-Without Quotes
- Now type in this command and hit enter
"iTunes.exe /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1"<-Without Quotes
- For 64 Bit windows run this command:
"CD C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes"<-Without Quotes
- Now type in this command and hit enter “
iTunes.exe /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1"<-Without Quotes
MAC OS X
- Close iTunes
- Open Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
- Now run this command and hit enter:
defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE
Download updated IPCC file and update iPhone with it
After enabling IPCC updates in iTunes, we need to download updated/modified IPCC file and update iPhone with it. Follow these steps to do so:
- Download updated .IPCC file (ATT_US.ipcc). Click here to download the file.
- Plug in your iPhone with your computer
- Start iTunes
- Now press Alt button on keyboard and click the “Update” button, for Windows press Shift button instead of ALT. iTunes will ask for path of IPCC file
- Browse to where you saved the IPCC you downloaded
- Select this file and click Choose (For MAC), and click Open for Windows
NOTE: On the right-hand side there should be a drop-down, click on it and select “iPhone Carrier Configuration files (*.ipcc)“, find the ATT_US.ipcc file and then click Open.
Reboot your iPhone. MMS should now be working!
Some people report loss of cellular data and network loss of visual voicemail. I haven’t experienced any of that but if you do, here is how to fix it.
Go to Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network to update your configuration.
- Visual Voicemail change wap.cingular to acds.voicemail
- MMS settings should match the following (leave blank fields blank):
MMS Proxy: 066.209.011.32
MMS Max Message Size: 614400
MMS UA Prof URL:
That’s it. As usual, since this is a hack, you are taking the risk of messing up your iPhone…