Home > Tips & Tricks, Tutorials > How To Fix 1601, 1602, 16xx or 21 Error Codes During iPhone 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 Custom Firmware Restore / Downgrade In iTunes

October 11th, 2009

1604Error

Are you trying to downgrade or restore your iPhone or iTouch from the official 3.1, 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 Firmware to a Custom Firmware and your iTunes displaying the following 1601, 1602, 16xx or 21 error codes? iH8sn0w has just released a utility named iREB (iTunes Restore Error Bypasser), which provides a workaround to fix these errors.

iREB is available for both Windows and MAC Operating systems.  Tool runs on both iPhone & iPhone 3G with Firmware 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, and also on iPod touch 1G and 2G.

So here is the work around for 1601, 1602, 1604, 16xx or 1621 Error Codes…

New version of iREB is out for 3.1.2 Devices… If you’re upgraded to the latest firmware (3.1.2 or 3.1.3) you should use this download / tool for the errors you’re experiencing. New version has additional devices and more options available.

1. Download iH8sn0w’s iREB 3.1.2 archive for Windows or Mac.
  2. Start iTunes and put your iPhone in Recovery Mode; to do so, hold Home and Power button in your iPhone simultaneously and release Power button after a while (10 seconds approx). Keep on holding Home button, till you see following error message appearing in iTunes stating.

“iTune has detected an iPhone in Recovery Mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes”iTunesRecovery

3. Now close iTunes and start iREB, following interface will open.
  4. iREB_3.1.2

5. Now select your plugged in device in iREB 3.1.2 and it will then show the White creen after few seconds. This happens fast so if you didn’t see it don’t worry… You will also hear sounds (maybe) like your iPhone is being plugged in and unplugged from your computer… That’s normal… The ih8sn0w.exe will crash… That’s normal, as long as you get a white screen…
  6. NOTE: If you still don’t see the WHITE screen, you should do this… While the device is still plugged in and iREB running, put your device into the DFU mode. PRESS and HOLD both buttons on your iPhone for 12 Seconds and then release the POWER button (Located at the top of your Device) while still holding down the HOME button… Hold down the HOME button for 30 Seconds… (Yes 30 Seconds) until you get the WHITE Screen, the iTunes will come up with a message stating it found an iPhone in Recover Mode… At this point you can let go of the HOME button… you will be asked to restore this iPhone… and the iREB tool will crash
  7. Now start iTunes again and select your device (iPhone/iPod) from iTunes DEVICES tab.
  8. HitRESTORE

9. To restore original settings on your Apple device, press and hold left “OPTION” button on the keyboard (“SHIFT” button for Windows), iTunes will give you option for Upgrade and Restore, click on “Restore” option in the iTunes and then release the “OPTION/SHIFT” button. Select .ipsw file and restore it.
  1. stanley orr
    October 20th, 2009 at 04:25 | #1

what do I do when the phone saids iphone is disabled

2. stanley orr
    October 20th, 2009 at 04:32 | #2

stanley orr :what do I do when the phone saids iphone is disabled

@stanley orr

3. eddie
    October 29th, 2009 at 08:30 | #3

i updated my unlocked iphone now it can only make emergency calls and itunes says it cant recognize the phone without a valid sim card wat do i do?

4. October 29th, 2009 at 09:45 | #4

@eddie
    You have updated your iPhone through iTunes and it was formatted and overwritten with a new Firmware/OS… You need to restore your iPhone with a CUSTOM IPSW file…
    If you have 3G you will not be able to unlock your iPhone because your basebands were upgraded to 05.11.07 firmware… IF you have 2G you’re good to go…

Here is 3.1 Firmware

Here is 3.1.2 Firmware

5. travis
    January 13th, 2010 at 14:19 | #5

I usally get error 1604 i tried this and now i get error 13 please help

6. moca
    January 16th, 2010 at 18:43 | #6

Yes I get error 9,13 1603 on mac and windows machine! Everytime I get to the end of an update the ipod won’t reboot! Please help without all the dfu mode restore mode… I have tried ireb it no work either. I unsoldered the battery and waited 4 days nothring! Is there a backup battery to unhook that will let the ipod touch 2g reset? anything! Please help I will give reward if it works again!!!

Thanks-
    Tre

7. Mike
    January 31st, 2010 at 01:55 | #7

How do I fix an error (28)? The iphone is stuck in recovery mode and will go throught the boot process. Need help. iphone 2G

8. Mike
    January 31st, 2010 at 01:56 | #8

Mike :How do I fix an error (28)? The iphone is stuck in recovery mode and will not go throught the boot process. Need help. iphone 2G

9. ian
    February 9th, 2010 at 06:39 | #9

I keep getting error 29 and i can’t restore, all it does is picture the connect to itunes on the iphone… help please (3GS)

10. ian
    February 9th, 2010 at 06:39 | #10

^my iphone isn’t jail broken, or trying to be jail broken.. just not working!

11. tom
    February 11th, 2010 at 16:28 | #11

same thing just happened to me. i don’t know what it is . possibly a dead battery cuz i cant power on my phone if its not plugged in…

12. Murthy
    April 2nd, 2010 at 13:47 | #12

I tried all the steps above but still don’t see the WHITE screen

13. candi
    April 19th, 2010 at 18:26 | #13

just got slapped in the face with error 29 pls help tryed it all nothing is working

14. Piksou0
    April 20th, 2010 at 20:04 | #14
  15. Shyaam Deshmukh
    May 2nd, 2010 at 01:24 | #15

Does this work for error 28 on an iPhone 3GS too?

16. shidee
    June 28th, 2010 at 18:48 | #16

Hi All,

Request some advice/help.

recently, I’ve succeeded to jailbraik iphone 3GS firmware 3.1.2 to OS 4 using snowbreeze.However, I’ve accidentally press ‘erase all data & setting’ caused it to reboot and now stuck with the appearance logo of ’snowbreeze’.

Shall I wait?
    What should I do? I’m stuck for more than 2 days.
    Anybody, pls help me.

17. October 12th, 2010 at 08:41 | #17

My experience: some iTunes installs are missing iPhone drivers, leaves the iPhone in a Recovery Loop error 29. I Uninstalled iTunes (10.0), installed iTunes 10.1, reconnected the iPhone and it was able to communicate. I did have to use TinyUmbrella to kick it out of the Recovery Loop. (/|\) Peace

18. Abhi
    January 2nd, 2011 at 09:49 | #18

my itunes shows error 21 whenever i try to restore it..
    can u plz hlp me with this..!!!!

19. herenthere
    April 25th, 2011 at 21:19 | #19

I try to restore my iphone 3g,tried all the methods posted but I keep getting the error 21 and is stuck now on the white screen, can’t remember the version on the phone and tyny umbrella or forecast apps would not recognize it either, any suggestions??