AutoSHSH RC2 is Released, Save your iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch SHSH Blob, 3.1.3, 3.1.2 for Future Jailbreak
iH8Sn0w, the developer of Sn0wBreeze jailbreak, f0recast, and iREB utility has released the AutoSHSH RC2 to grab SHSH blobs for iPhone 3GS, iPad and iPod Touch 3G. It’s time to grab your SHSH and save it locally, on Cydia and / or submit it to Apple.
Another utility you can use is Firmware Umbrella, both tutorials are in this article so don’t waste your time, save your SHSH.
This is important for iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G and iPod Touch 2G (MC) owners who want to jailbreak their devices in the future. iPhone 3G and 2G, iTouch 2G (older) and iTouch 1G users are free of this headache. Using AutoSHSH, you can grab SHSH blobs for both iPhone OS 3.1.3 and iPad OS 3.2.
RC2 version now stores 3.1.3 (iPhone & iPod) /3.2 (iPad) SHSH blobs in Cydia too (you can also have them stored localy on your PC).
For those who don’t know – Apple added a new security system called ECID (Exclusive Chip ID) which is unique for all devices.
iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPod Touch 3G, iPod Touch 2G MC and almost every upcoming iDevice is affected by this security. What this security does is when someone updates their iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPod Touch 3G, and iTouch 2G MC to a newer firmware without saving ECID SHSH blobs, they not only lose their jailbreak but also lose the ability to downgrade their iDevice to an older firmware.
But if you have ECID SHSH saved for an older firmware, you’ll always be able to restore back to that firmware and then jailbreak/unlock your iPhone, iPad, iTouch.
Note: This guide is important for iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G and iPod Touch 2G (MC) owners. iPhone 3G and 2G users are free of this headache.
The Spirit jailbreak for iPad 3.2, iPhone 3.1.3 and iPod Touch 3.1.3 is expected to release soon. GeoHot has also demonstrated iPad 3.2 jailbreak with blackra1n and we’ve heard of his recently registered new website limera1n.
It’s the best time to save SHSH blobs for your iPad, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3G to secure your future jailbreak because Apple may release a new firmware update soon after the jailbreak is out to patch the exploit used.
In order to save SHSH blobs for iPhone 3GS, iPad and iPod Touch 3G, you can either use AutoSHSH RC2 or Umbrella. AutoSHSH involves just a single click while the Umbrella utility involves a few steps to backup your ECID SHSH on file.
How to Grab SHSH Blobs for the iPad 3.2, iPhone 3.1.3 or iPod Device, with AutoSHSH
Put your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch into Recovery Mode:
- Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time. (your device will turn OFF and then ON)
- Continue holding the both buttons until your iTunes pops up a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode. (Auto-SHSH will prompt you with the following menu so you have to make sure you are in recovery mode)
- Run the downloaded AutoSHSH.
- Hit the OK button. Then a message will popup asking if you have Java Runtime already installed on your PC. If you have Java Runtime installed on your PC, hit the YES button. Otherwise hit the NO button and it will take you to the Java Runtime Download link. Install Java Runtime, come back, hit the YES button.
- On the next window, hit the big Grab my SHSH Blobs Automatically button.
- It will ask you to locate the folder where youw ant to save iPad SHSH blobs, choose a folder, name your SHSH file and save it.
5. Make sure you have the iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch SHSH files where you saved them.
That’s it! You have now secured your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch for future jailbreak. Keep that SHSH file at a safe place because you will need it whenever you need to downgrade iPad firmware to 3.2. or your iPhone to 3.1.3
How to Grab SHSH Blobs for the iPad 3.2, iPhone 3.1.3 or iPod Device, with Firmware Umbrealla
If your device is already Jailbroken
Now that you have a jailbroken iPhone; Launch the Cydia app. Check if there’s any mention of â€œthis device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3 at the top of the Cydia home screen. If there is, then you are already set and don’t have anything to do.
You may not have all SHSH on file but it’s OK to have the latest one. Current latest firmware version is 3.1.3, so make sure you have that one mentioned there. Checkout the following screenshot:
If you already saved your SHSH file on Saurik’s server, you don’t need to repeat this process every time. If there’s nothing mentioned at the top of the Cydia home screen, scroll down the Cydia home page and look for a make my life easier button and tap on it. This will automatically save your ECID SHSH on Saurik’s server. To confirm, simply close and re-open the Cydia app and see if there’s a mention at the top now!
That’s it, you don’t need to do this for each new firmware, Cydia will automatically save ECID SHSH of future firmware for you.
Advice: Never update to the latest firmware unless one of the iDevice hacking teams releases a jailbreak tool for the latest firmware.
For Both Jailbroken and Not Jailbroken Devices
If you have a new iPhone or are afraid of jailbreaking it at the moment and just want to see if the jailbreak tool really works for others, it is highly recommended to save your ECID SHSH on file as soon as possible. The current firmware version is 3.1.3 but Apple is expected to release a firmware update anytime now, so grav your ECID SHSH file before it’s too late. You can save SHSH Signature files even if you aren’t jailbroken. Follow the steps below to grab ECID SHSH on file for a jailbreak free device:
Note: You can save ECID SHSH on file only for that firmware version that Apple still signs, currently it’s 3.1.3. It’s very important to keep doing this for every firmware version that comes out after these. But if you jailbreak your iPhone at any point in the future, simple follow the jailbroken device steps mentioned above and leave the rest to Saurik.
- Get your iPhone ECID using the following guide: How TO: Check Your iPhone ECID.
- Download the firmware Umbrella from here and Java Runtime from here (it’s required for Umbrella to run on Windows.)
- Run the downloaded firmware Umbrella (both windows and Mac version available in download)
- Enter your ECID
- Select your device version i.e iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 (or whichever you have)
- Select SHSH Repository:
- If your iPhone is NOT jailbroken. Choose the Apple option from the drop down menu.
- For already jailbroken iPhone. Choose the Saurik Cydia option from the drop down menu.
- It the submit button.
While downloading the SHSH’s it will freeze for a minute or two and would seem like it’s not responding, don’t panic, it’s normal and soon enough the SHSH saved! message will appear at the status bar of the Umbrella Window. Your iPhone SHSH will be downloaded and saved in the same folder as Umbrella is. The file size will be around 64kb. That’s it…