Home > Apps, Tools, Utilities, iPad, iPhone News, Tips & Tricks, Tutorials > How to View, Copy or Delete Songs directly on your iPhone with myTunes via SSH / iFile / iPhone Browser

May 17th, 2010

File Manager with capabilites to email, edit, delete, copy, cut, paste, rename, view, compress, uncompress, install and transfer files

Do you want to view, copy and/or delete music files (songs) directly from your iPhone without connecting to your PC or iTunes?

With a small app (Tweek) called “myTunes” you can access iTunes media files stored on your device through the ‘Media/myTunes’ folder accessible via SCP, iPhoneBrowser or iFile internal server.

The app gives you the access to the songs and videos stored on your iPhone/iPod Touch through its folder at the path ‘private/var/mobile/media/myTunes’.  You can access these paths via ssh into iPhone/iPod touch or iPhonebrowser on your PC and even through iFile from your iPhone itself.

If you want to use SSH method to get to your music but don’t know what SSH is or how to install it, then you can follow this tutorial to learn more about SSH.

In this article I will be covering the most convenient way to get to your iPhone/iPod music files, which is via “iFile

NOTE: You must have a Jailbroken iPhone in order to use this feature…

First thing you need to do is open Cydia and install a package/app called iFile (NOTE: iFile is a paid Application but in this article for “Testing Purposes” I will show you how to get this App for free.)

iFile Installation

1. Open Cyida
  2. Tap on Manage Tab at the bottom of the screen, then tap on Sources, Now add the sinfuliphone.com REPO (http://www.sinfuliphonerepo.com)
  3. While in Cydia, tap on Manage Tab, then tap on Sources, Then tap on SinfuliPhone Source and find the iFile Package.
  4. Install “iFile″ and Reboot your device. NOW you have a full version of the iFile on your device.

Second thing you need to do is open Cydia and install a package/app called myTunes

myTunes Installation

1. Open Cyida
  2. Tap on Search Tab at the bottom of the screen, and search for myTunes
  3. Install “myTunes″ and Reboot your device.

Now open iFile application on your iPhone and then navigate to /var/mobile/Media/myTunes NOTE: Hit the top left button to see other directories, keep hitting it until you see Var, then tap on it, hit mobile, then Media, and finally myTunes.

Find any song you no longer wish to have on your iPhone and then swipe your finger over the title of the song from Left to Right. You will then see the “DELETE” button…

iFile from Cydia iFile from Cydia

This app lets you get the original MP3 files of your music collection from your iPod touch or iPhone with their original track names.

Normally if you access the iPod folder on the iPhone and look for songs (at itunes _control/music/f01/fder.mp3) you will find weird names for the song file & folders like ‘TGKP.mp3? thus making it virtually impossible to locate a particular file on the iPhone.

Now with myTunes you can actually recover your entire library using the iPhonebrowser incase you end up with a corrupted playlist on your local desktop / mac or if your system crashes.

This would also make it easy for you to transfer files via bluetooth (using iBluetooh).

1. Feelthepain444
    July 8th, 2010 at 12:35 | #1

hey nice post but there’s one problem : you can’t actually delete yor songs using myTunes. Read the description in cydia, it says its for backup and transfers. Correct me if I’m wrong but i’ve tryed it and it DOESN’T remove the song from the ipod app. Youll see it desapear in ifile… until you close it and reopen it up to see that your song is still there. Great for transfering songs via bluetooth though.

2. Troy
    August 21st, 2010 at 08:05 | #2

Help WTF it dosent delete the songs on ifile wen u try and go bak on the music app they r still their WTF

3. Tisp00n
    August 28th, 2010 at 01:16 | #3

When you delete a song within myTunes, you actually delete only one ‘Link’ to the song. If you want to definitely remove a song, you need to find it in the weird iTunes_Control.. FXx folder and remove it here too, which is not that simple. Further more, myTunes refreshes the song files periodically frm iTunes DB, so even if you delete a song, it will reappear after a while. Thus, iPod app will get cpnfused if you remove a song or video file as iTunes DB does not get updated. You will still be able to browse the song, and it will display an error if you try to play it, as of course the file has been deleted. I have spent hours to find a tool that is able to manage or delete songs directly on iphone/ipod touch, but withiut success. Clearly, iphone communoty is missing some interedting develppment here

4. Dave Albano
    December 13th, 2010 at 14:47 | #4

^ Argh that sucks I thought I has finally found a way to manage my music on my iPhone!

5. Sherry
    December 21st, 2010 at 22:49 | #5

There shd be a law against thus! Just wasted an hour!

6. January 8th, 2011 at 01:14 | #6

Dammit!!!!! Doesn’t work!

7. anonymous
    January 13th, 2011 at 14:45 | #7

When you manually delete all songs, also delete the entire “iTunes Library.itlp” folder from /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/ and it will work like a charm :)

8. Kevin
    February 5th, 2011 at 07:59 | #8

Can you add a song or just delete? I hate having to connect to itunes just to add a song

9. February 6th, 2011 at 18:22 | #9

well you have to sync back from itunes and the whole files will gone..

10. Awais Ali Khan
    February 13th, 2011 at 03:44 | #10

I need to know the path of ipod in iphone 3gs which is used by iFile. Please help anyone

11. Does not work
    February 14th, 2011 at 22:47 | #11

Does not work don’t even try waste of time !

12. Kwizzy
    February 19th, 2011 at 22:01 | #12

So I did what TispOOn suggested n he’s right the song does not play anymore but it still shows up in ur music library! The point of deleting shit is so u can clean up the library! This app is a waste of time!

13. victor
    February 20th, 2011 at 19:34 | #13

thanks really like the pictures that help :)

14. T
    February 21st, 2011 at 22:06 | #14

That sucks. I want to delete songs from my iPhone.

15. Leighan
    February 22nd, 2011 at 15:56 | #15

I’ve deleted the songs no problem but…. It still apears in my ipod track listing. Obviously I cannot play it but How do I delete the names??

16. Ashley
    March 8th, 2011 at 22:50 | #16

…That didn’t work.
    I have a corrupted song that shows up on my library but just skips to another on my iPod now.
    :’(
    …. But, of course, maybe I wasn’t supposed to use it on my iPod?
    Idk…

17. March 17th, 2011 at 16:28 | #17

I Was Doing It Didn’t Work So I Took All My Clothes Off and Rubbed My tiny nipples on the screen and the songs deleted

18. Vigan
    March 23rd, 2011 at 11:12 | #18

Just use a program called Copy Trans Manager, and everything will work out like a charm.
    Then you can put songs back and forth just as supposed to, meaning “EASY”.
    I hope this helped you guys !

19. Anna
    April 2nd, 2011 at 04:14 | #19

First of all thanks for the walkthrough!
    However I am having trouble installing fullforce – after pressing install it goes ‘prepare archives’ but I get an error saying ‘I wasn’t able to locate file for the applist package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package.’ Could any one give me some advice, I have no idea what it means..
    Thanks!

20. sadeem
    April 6th, 2011 at 10:22 | #20

heyy all… here da same probz wid me by using my iphone4, so can any 1 tell da simple way to fix dese probz…. how can i delete directly mp3 files at itself… n how to transffer da media to other devices….?

21. J~Fizzle
    April 9th, 2011 at 23:37 | #21

***IMPORTANT! HOW TO ADD SONGS***

Yo guys, I found iFile while trying to find a way to add songs to my iPod. Here’s how.

Download something from Cydia called “Safari Download Manager”. This gives you the power to download ANYTHING off of the internet to your iPod directly from your iPod. (It shows up on Safari as a little box with an arrow going into it.)

Once you have that, go on safari and go find an mp3 of whatever song you want. When you find the download link for it a menu will pop up saying
    “What would you like to do?
    [Name of the file]
    [A red button] Download
    [A white button] Download to…
    [A white button] View
    [A black button] Cancel”
    Click on Download to… (You can click download, but then you don’t know what directory the file is going to.) After you click that a menu will pop up with a file inside that says “manifest.plist”, ignore that file and hit save. (Btw, if you want to just see the file without downloading it you can click view.)

Now the song is on your iPod. Yay! But how do we access it?

Open iFile. Go to //private/var/mobile/Media/Downloads/
    Now you’re back at that menu that had “manifest.plist” except now your song is in there as well. Click on the file to play it. Hooray you got it to play! But wait, I want it in my iTunes music library. Well, this is what I’ve found, logically it should work, but for some reason it doesn’t. Maybe it’s because of that “iTunes_Control” thing, but I don’t know. Here’s what I tried to do though.

So at “//private/var/mobile/Media/Downloads/” click the “Edit” button, click on your song, click the little square with the arrow going through it at the bottom right of the menu, click “Copy/Link” (or if you’re running low on memory, click “Cut” all this does is takes it out of the downloads directory instead of making a copy of it. Saves memory.) Now go to
    //private/var/mobile/Media/myTunes/
    Once there, click the “Edit” button again, click on the box with an arrow on it again, click “Paste”, then your song is in the directory of your iPods music.

Logically you would think that it would stay there when you close iFile and open up Music, but it’s not… Something must be overwriting it.

Problems with this technique:
    You can’t rename the file (as far as I can tell at least.), so the file you download will be the name of the song.

I’ve only lightly explored this, if someone wants to try to improve my technique feel free. Just please pot it here so the people can see it.

22. Ambot
    April 14th, 2011 at 04:55 | #22

This is why apple sucks. They could have just given us a button!!

Cd sum1 pls dev sumthin that works inside ipod. Or a full replacement app. Wanna delete, rename etc

23. Jonnycakes
    May 7th, 2011 at 18:45 | #23

Garbage solution.. It may have worked on older firmwares.. An easy way to remove songs without iTunes is to download a free copy of copy trans manager.

24. Sjck
    July 21st, 2011 at 00:37 | #24

To change the song titles to names that are much easier to read, simply click the settings button on the buttom left of the screen( might hace to press edit first) and scroll down and turn ‘Song titles’ on.

25. Nahum
    August 28th, 2011 at 22:06 | #25

Thank you! Did it in 3 minutes – worked perfectly.

26. Suleman
    September 9th, 2011 at 14:50 | #26

Hi i have ipad 1 firmware 4.2.1 i did everything what u said J~Fizzle but i didnt work. If any thing else can be happen plz let us know thanks.

27. chris philip
    September 22nd, 2011 at 09:52 | #27

28. joy
    October 31st, 2011 at 09:47 | #28

go to cydia nd dwload an app called mewseek. U can use this to search the music you want and import it to your ipods music library or you can copy your music directly to /var/mobile/Media/Downloads and then import it from there using the app.

Good Luck.