Home > Apps, Tools, Utilities, Downloads, iPad, Tips & Tricks, Tutorials > Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit, iFile and Flash Drive = You have access to all your USB Drive Files (NICE HACK)

August 12th, 2010

iPad Camera Connection Hack with iFile and USB Flash Drive

As you may have heard Apple has an accessory for the iPad called Camera Connection Kit for connecting the camera or SD-card and importing pictures directly into the photo album.

I have purchased this Camera Connection Kit for my wife to make her life easier for the pictures / camera import options and of course to use the USB connector to see what I can do with it.

While playing around with this kit I have found an interesting feature which allows you to use the USB connector for the USB Flash Drives / USB Sticks to import any type of documents or files into the iPad and pretty much have access to the entire content of the USB flash drive that is plugged into the Camera Connection Kit via USB.

As we all know Apple Camera Connection Kit only supports the camera when connected via USB.But that’s not entirely true?

I have decided to connect a regular “Cruzer Micro 4GB” USB Stick / Flash Drive into it and as expected iPad did NOT take it: and came up with an error stating “The attached USB device is not supported.

I have the iFile application installed on my iPad (I have it on all my iDevices, I love iFile) and that’s what helped me find this feature / hole.

All you have to do is plug in any USB Flash Drive / USB Stick into your iPad using the Camera Connections Kit (USB Connector), you will get a message stating”The attached USB device is not supported.” don’t worry about it, go ahead and press the DISMISS button…

Now open iFile and navigate to this directory var/mnt/mount1 / you should now be able to view and save all the contents of your USB drive, including audio, photos, text and video files directly on your iPad!

As you can see in the screenshot below I have some .ini and .dll files which you will never find in any iPads or iPhones.

You can open virtually any files you have on your plugged in USB Flash drive and save them into your iPad. Any/ALL image files when saved go directly into the Camera Roll so you can find them in there once you save them.

1. Barb
    August 14th, 2010 at 07:56 | #1

I read your comment before I bought the camera connection kit and have tried this, am now ready to take this any where . Thanks. How do I get free modern ebooks to download to my ipad.

2. August 14th, 2010 at 07:59 | #2

Thanks…

Read this post… You will be able to download more than 600 new awesome titles / books and have them on your iPad.

Good Luck.

3. Cathy
    August 19th, 2010 at 18:56 | #3

I’m very disappointed as this does not work for me. :(

4. Rosa Bezanson
    August 25th, 2010 at 06:41 | #4

On the comment made earlier regarding connecting a USB memory stick to the ipad via the camara connection kit, it was mentioned that it works using the ifile application. Is the ifile application something that can be downloaded to the ipad from the internet? If so, is there a particular website where it can be found?

5. Garry
    September 17th, 2010 at 06:21 | #5

Followed everything and the advice but cannot “navigate to this directory var/mnt/mount1″

where is that?
    what is that? and how do you do that on ifile?

thanks

garry

6. ornella
    October 1st, 2010 at 03:22 | #6

As Garry said I have downloaded the ifile and followed everything through but am unable to access/find the var/mnt/mount1/ file.
    I have :Sidebar,Dashboard/Home/Search for boxes. When I put the (var..) file in search nothing happens. I would be really overjoyed if you could send me a quick email saying how to do so. Sorry to bother you, but your walkthrough was so clear till that part that maybe I am doing something wrong.
    Hoping for a response,
    All the best,
    Ornella

7. October 1st, 2010 at 03:46 | #7

@ornella
    HI there,
    All you have to do to get to the VAR folder is tap on the “button” located at the top LEFT corner… It will navigate out of the directory you’re currently in…

Tap it until you are in ROOT directory then you will see the “VAR” folder…

Good Luck.

8. Scott
    October 1st, 2010 at 17:33 | #8

I only see the add a service box when I hit the button in the top left corner. What are we missing? Does this require the iPad to be jail broken?

9. quaddy
    October 5th, 2010 at 06:29 | #9

i can only speak for myself, but my ipad is using 3.2.1 FW, it is jailbroken

you need cydia, then search within that for ifile, which is small download which gets installed to your ipad, on my ipad, using a sony micro vault usb drive, i dont get the popup regarding incompatibility, and in ifile, i actually get the flash drive showing as a device, under disk with a little eject symbol to the right

the flash drive needs to be formatted as FAT32, i created a folder called DCIM in, as well, which allows for automatic photo import. but in ifile, i was able to create folders directly on the flash drive, move movies, .ipa’s and all sorts to and from the flash drive

am interested in creating some symbolic links, to therefore extend the capacity of my pwntunes app, thus giving me a bigger ipod facility coupled with a largish flash drive.

damn shame this ipad connection kit doesnt work on the iphone 4 directly, maybe there will be some kind of workaround for this in the future, i am trying all sorts in this regard…

10. Pete
    November 5th, 2010 at 17:09 | #10

hi, does your ipad has to be jailbroken? Or is it gonna work without jailbraking. Thanks for the answer:-)

11. Sander
    November 10th, 2010 at 13:21 | #11

@Pete

Yes you have to jailbreak your iPad. There is no way you could get this to work without it.

12. JB
    November 24th, 2010 at 19:16 | #12

Has anyone gotten this to work on jailbroken iPad on iOS 4.2.1? My iPad now says my flash drive uses too much power and iFile doesnt see it!

13. iRizPad
    November 25th, 2010 at 22:29 | #13

Seems, not only me face this problem with iPad iOS 4.2.1. Any solution? Thanks in advance :)

14. luciano
    December 1st, 2010 at 21:08 | #14

please¡¡¡ any solution ¡¡¡…

15. Hunter
    December 3rd, 2010 at 11:50 | #15

Can you take pictures from iPad to the USB key?

16. Kenny
    December 29th, 2010 at 18:57 | #16

Thank you so much. You simplified this problem and made a soultion. I wish mac would think of these things b4 hand. Needless to say it would be nice to have Osx running on the pad.

17. Patrick
    January 18th, 2011 at 14:54 | #17

this won’t work in iOS 4.2 because the new version reduces the amount of power available to the connector. This effectively kills all the functions of the camera connection kit. If you have the older OS, you can use the SD card reader that comes with the camera connection kit to do the same thing. It works like a charm. m4v movies can be streamed right off the card to the videos application without copying them to the ipad.

18. gothminion
    February 17th, 2011 at 14:28 | #18

Would this work in an iPod touch 3G?

19. Jek
    March 4th, 2011 at 00:49 | #19

my experienced, it works only for old gen usb flash, i have 3 usb flash – 1gb, 2gb and 4 g b – and only the 1gb – the older gen, works with iFile. The other ones show a message “flash drive uses too much power”
    Note: my iOS 4.2.1

20. Jek
    March 4th, 2011 at 00:56 | #20

@JB
    See my comment below, hote it helps

21. SoccerFreaak
    March 11th, 2011 at 21:24 | #21

how do you jailbreak your iPad ?

22. Bman
    June 14th, 2011 at 05:13 | #22

Try using a powered USB hub with the newer ios

23. Rob Moore
    June 17th, 2011 at 12:51 | #23

I checked in the app store for iFile and it doesn’t come up. Is there any chance that it’s under a different name?

Rob

24. Vu Anh Duy
    June 27th, 2011 at 20:40 | #24

I bought an IPad connection kit (5 in one) but could not use it. My iPad version 4.2.1 (8C148). Please help me! How to use it?

25. EL
    June 30th, 2011 at 11:32 | #25

Without jailbreaking an Ipad2, can Ipad2 read jpg files from a flash drive and display them onto the screen as slide shows?

26. wis
    October 25th, 2011 at 03:21 | #26

Apple’s iPad is a wonderful device. But it is limited in it’s connectivity.

Using Apple’s Camera Connection Kit it is possible to read generic USB flash drives and hard disks. Jail-breaking is not required. The iPad can only read compatible image and movie files.

1. Format your USB flash drive in FAT32 using the Disk Utility, Partition, “MSDOS (FAT)”.

2. Create a folder called “DCIM” in the root directory of the flash drive. Put your images and movies in there.

3. When connected, the iPad thinks it’s attached to a digital camera and can read image and movie files in the “DCIM” folder. An app opens which enables you to copy images and movies on to your iPad.

NOTES: he ipad will download almost any file… whether it can use it or not is a different matter.

BUT the trick is the file name must be 8 characters (not counting the extension). if it contains more or less characters it will not be seen.