Greenpois0n Jailbreak, SHAtter Exploit, Unlock for iPhones, People get confused. I have answers for all of you!!!
With all the news all over the web about the new Jailbreak Tool Greenpois0n, SHAtter Exploit, Unlocking, etc. many people got confused and started asking me a lot of questions about the upcoming Jailbreak solution for their particular device.
Yesterday P0sixninja a member of the Chronic Dev Team announced that their jailbreak tool GreenPois0n would be released on Oct. 10th (10/10/10 at 10:10:10am). With that simple ETA given many iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad users came to me with questions yet to be answered.
I have combined some of the important facts, questions and answers in the list below so go ahead and read the FAQs and let me know if I have missed anything.
Listed below are the answers to all your questions regarding the upcoming Jailbreaking, Unlocking, device compatability with the new Greenpois0n jailbreaking tool:
- Q: Will this jailbreak all i-devices?
- A: No it will not, Greenpois0n will only jalbreak the latest generation of i-Devices (iPod Touch 4, iPhone 4, iPad, Apple TV)
MuscleNerd from iPhone Dev Team tweeted this;
- Q: Will this unlock the iphone 4?
- A: No this is only a jailbreak, you must stay on firmware 4.0.1 if you want to retain your unlock and wait until the iPhone Dev Team releases Pwnage Tool to update and preserve your baseband or until a different way to unlock comes.
Chronic Dev Team tweeted this;
To those asking about unlock: At this time, only the jailbreak is being worked on, as it requires the team’s full attention.
- Q: Is this a Tethered Jailbreak or Untethered?
- A: With the help of Comex and another userland exploit it will be an untethered Jailbreak only after doing a little extra work.
MuscleNerd from iPhone Dev Team has tweeted this;
Those reading between the lines: Yes SHAtter itself is tethered. @comex came up with a way to untether it on 4.1/3.2.2
SHAtter is yet another breed of exploit. Bootrom-based but requires userland “assistance” for untethered boots (@comex did this for 4.1)
- Q: Will this Hacktivate my i-Device (get it past the connect to iTunes screen)?
- A: Yes it supports Hactivation meaning you don’t need an official SIM card to activate the i-Device (iPhone or iPad).
P0sixninja from Chronic Dev Team has tweeted this;
@p0sixninja will gp hacktivate ip4.. please answer. i need to know
- Q:What about us older i-Device owners why don’t we have a jailbreak (iPod Touch, iPhone 3Gs New Bootrom)?
- A: Unfortunately the SHAtter exploit the Greenpois0n jailbreak uses only works on newer i-devices as the exploit is based on the new A4 chip. Those with an older i-device are going to have to wait and see if the upcoming Dev Team jailbreak tools work with your device.
Comex from iPhone Dev Team has tweeted this;
@geraldo72 no, the underlying SHAtter exploit doesn’t work on that device. Wait for the next userland JB from comex for that.
@Jerometick something like that wouldn’t be before official 4.2 is out (at the very least)
NOTE: The Jailbreak tool for iDevices such as iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G and below will come from Comex but it will not be released until Apple will release the iOS 4.2 update to public (or even later than that)
Keep checking iPhone Techie for all the latest news on the upcoming Jailbreak Tools and Unlocking, I will have tutorials posted here once all the tools are available.